Today is Valentine’s Day. Ideally, I would have written this letter in time for you to open it on V-Day morning, so that you could read it in the early morning light before your babies woke, over coffee and quiet (because those moments totally happen, right?!) but, I didn’t. Because, you know, motherhood and whatnot.
I know you understand. You always understand.
Anyway, I felt compelled on this Valentine’s Day when our village is being considered for so many well-deserved accolades - Franchise of the Year, and Village of the Year, and Instructor of the Year - to sit down and write you a love letter.
Where to begin? Oh boy. Fit4Mom Baltimore City, you have been a light in my life for over a year and a half. When I think about the most important relationships in my life thus far, this one stands out for so many reasons.
At the risk of sounding cheesy, let me list the reasons why I love you so:
1. You are a relationship that both supports and challenges me. You create modifications for me on the days when I desperately need a break, and you issue me invitations to test myself on the days when I can dig a little deeper.
2. You are there for me, even when I’m not there. When I am unable to make it to class, I am often still sore from a previous day’s workout. I take a remarkable comfort in physically feeling your presence in my life.
3. I know you will accept me as I am. When I have bags under my eyes and am (inevitably) wearing my husband’s crusty, hole-ridden undershirt, you don’t judge me. If my child screams or fusses, you accept that the noise is temporary, and you offer a bubble or a book. You’ve been there.
4. You meet me where I am. Whether in the park or at PUSH or at the Maryland Science Center, you consider what’s feasible and accessible and fun for my son and I.
5. You make me strong. In so many ways. You encourage me to dig deep and find strength I almost forgot I had. You remind me that all pain shall pass, and that the purpose of pain is to leave me braver and stronger than I was before.
6. You are filled to the brim with genuine love. Every single momma in our tribe is in love with their baby, and every single baby in our tribe is completely goo-goo for their momma. I can’t think of a better place to witness love so pure and true as I see each morning in Stroller Strides class.
Sigh. Fit4Mom Baltimore City, I could probably wax poetic for awhile longer, but there is laundry to be folded before my dear boy stirs and this solitary hour passes. You understand. (You always understand!)
Just know that I am so appreciative for having this community and all of its members in my life.
A Smitten Momma